Skip to main content

Organizing with time strategies

The Psychology of Checklists

Organization makes me feel calm. I love lists, planners, dates and schedules. I actually just bought myself a new planner for 2019-2020 and I am very excited to begin filling it out. I also use the reminders app on my iPhone all the time. I think reminders through checklists are very helpful, especially with the lives that many people live in western society. People have more on their plate than ever before and with the proper organizational techniques a busy schedule can be handled with ease. This article about the psychology of checklists confirmed this thought process for me. Many people try their best to have order in their lives, but it may be difficult for some. This piece informs people that having a list for tasks that are smaller to guide you toward larger goals is much more manageable and fulfilling. Simply being able to see yourself move through a checklist makes tackling a large task much easier. Many people give up half way through projects because it feels daunting and never-ending, but with a list of goals that can get you through a task that seems too large, the process turns into something manageable. As a student, I have found that staying organized and thinking ahead definitely helps when I have an extensive list of things to do. I often get overwhelmed with school, especially at the beginning of the semester when we are hit with the assignments of all of our classes for the whole semester on day one or two. But if we can break things up, organize and take each day at a time, it does not feel as overwhelming.
Organized desk

The Myth of 'Too Busy'

Prioritizing our lives seems so difficult sometimes. There are all of the tasks we "have to do," then there are the things we "need to do" and our most desired category, the things we "want to do." We all want to grow and aspire to be our best selves, but it feels like an overwhelming task when we have so much to do. This article helps with changing our mindset to one that prioritizes what is most important to climb the ladder of our lives, whatever that may be. This article helped me think about what I find truly important to enable myself to grow. I am going to begin organizing my time by what is most important first and then go through the things that I should fill my time with the least. This way I will not feel so burdened with so much busyness.

Comments

  1. Hi Lindsi!

    I like your name! I totally agree with all of the points you made. I, too, get overwhelmed at the beginning of the semester when everything is new and a schedule is not quite concrete yet! I'm also a believer of creating to-do lists that contain smaller tasks because it's so much more rewarding to see that you've completed more things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsi!

    First of all, I love how you spell your name, it is so unique! Next, I wanted to say that I also enjoy everything having to do with planning. What kind of planner do you use? I have been obsessed with the Erin Condren planners for the past 3 years. I have to write anything and everything down in my planner, and it is the greatest sense of accomplishment when I can cross something off that I have completed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the plant fiend

Image of myself My name is Lindsi Unsell. I am a senior at The University of Oklahoma and I am studying Communications. All of my Communication classes have been so interesting and relevant to everyday life. I have actually noticed myself become a better communicator and have been more aware of how others communicate around me. As a senior, I am both excited and nervous to have such limited time in school left. I feel so happy that I have come this far successfully and I can see the light at the end of this stressful yet rewarding tunnel. I also work at The Oklahoma Daily as a copy editor and hope to try my hand at some writing for the newspaper this final semester. The Daily has been one of the most rewarding things I have done at OU. I have met a niche group of people that help me connect with others outside of school that I may not have gotten the chance to meet otherwise. I love being a part of the school newspaper because I feel so much more aware of events going on locall

Comment Wall

Beowulf slaying Grendel Here is a link to my storybook website about Beowulf and his many thrilling adventures.

Week 7 Story: Grotto of Lust

Author's note: This story was originally told as the Grotto of Love. In this story was a man that became bored and resorted to other pleasures. These pleasures were among the sea with a siren. I will keep with the same story but change the ending and the character names and a few traits. Grotto of Lust Leorio, as with many who are given too much in life, was dissatisfied. Leorio had the most beautiful and loyal wife, Setsu, but he tired of her constant presence. In his boredom he began to think of a siren he once saw, but could not catch. She had a voice that could make tears prick your eyes and a beauty that surpassed anyone Leorio had ever set his eyes upon. He sat and thought about the way she sang and played her lute effortlessly. It all became a dizzying daydream and he could not bare the thoughts any longer. He left his wife without a thought and made his way to the emerald sea where she lived.  Once his feet sunk into the sand and he breathed in the salty air he b