Skip to main content

Week 3 Story: Risa and Raymond

Pyramus and Thisbe by Tony Kline

This story is a rendition of Pyramus and Thisbe. I took this story and changed a few things like character names, animals and trees. The basic story is unchanged. It is about two children that fall in love but are forbidden to see each other by their parents. They of course disobey, and quickly find a dark end. Think Romeo and Juliet.

Risa and Raymond

Risa and Raymond were both lovely children. Risa was loved by all and was most radiant. Her friends doted on her constantly. Raymond was fawned over by all the girls in the village with his perfect smile and capable demeanor. When the two first found each other they quickly were stricken with love. Coincidentally, Risa and Raymond were neighbors. They desired to see one another as quickly as was possible, but sadly their parents saw the rapid devotion of the two children and kept them apart. As love always finds its way through murky waters, the two children found a way to communicate without their parents knowing. 

There was a quaint garden that connected behind the two neighboring houses. It was thick with fragrant red, pink and yellow roses. The vines of them grew so thick you could not see through from one side or the other, so when the sun faded beyond the horizon Risa and Raymond found their way to the garden where no one could find them. Risa and Raymond often hid there knelt behind the tangled roses. They spoke for hours at night never tiring of each other's words. 

One night they began talking about running away, which is where their conversations often strayed. The two grew tiresome of always hiding their love for one another. Feeling more courageous than normal, Risa proposed they run away the following evening and meet up outside of town at the large willow. Raymond swiftly agreed of the idea. 

The following night Risa made her way to the willow. She noticed she had arrived first so she decided to rest underneath the willows long drooping branches. As she slumped underneath the tree she noticed beyond the willows leaves a silver wolf with its teeth bared, blood dripping to the earth. Risa ran as fast as she could to the nearby forest. As she frantically made for her escape she dropped the thin scarf she had around her shoulders to keep warm in the brisk night. Hearing the commotion the wolf made its way over to the willow and caught sight of the scarf, which is thought of as a play thing and ripped to shreds. 

Weeping willow
Not long after Risa's departure Raymond trotted towards the willow with excitement to see his love. Finally, he approached the hilltop where the willow danced in the midnight breeze. He pushed aside the lazy branches and was grief stricken by tattered remains of Risa's scarf. "What have I done?" Raymond thought blaming himself immediately. "How could I agree to send my dear Risa to meet me here in the middle of the night when dark creatures roam? I have surely put my love to her untimely demise." With this resolution in his mind, Raymond drew out his thin dagger and plunged it into his chest. 

Once Risa felt it was safe to return to the willow she cautiously made her way back. She playfully whispered Raymond's name as she came closer, but with no reply. Unconsciously her heart began to beat harder. Risa lifted her pearl white hand to the emerald green leaves of the willow and gasped, "My dear Raymond! What have you done?" As her tears flowed hot and steady she held the limp Raymond in her arms. "Why have we been dealt this cruel fate?" Risa whispered, "To end one's own life is cowardly but I do not know how to go on without my love." Risa then withdrew the dagger from Raymond's chest and stuck it into her own as she wept. From that day on the willow was known only as the weeping willow. 

Comments

  1. Hi Lindsi. This was a very interesting story. You did a really nice job of using descriptive language to get your story across. This made me able to envision the characters in their environment in the willow. The ending was so tragic, and I think part of that is because you made the readers so interested in your two protagonists. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsi!

    I really enjoyed reading this, it was easy to read and the characters were interesting to follow along with. Definitely some strong Romeo and Juliet vibes here. I thought the end with the weeping willow was really clever! The only thing I got lost on was near the beginning – I had to read the first paragraph again because I missed that their parents wanted them apart. I think if you included a reason as to why, it would've stood out and created a foundation for the rest of the story and justified more strongly why they had to meet in the dangerous woods. Overall, super fun to read and great job bringing life to your main characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsi! I really enjoyed your story. It was easy to follow and imagine because of the way your writing flows. The descriptions were really beautiful and kept me captivated. The bond between the two children was very clear from the beginning and was written very nicely. I also like how you summarized their closeness in a couple of paragraphs and then went on to focus on the action part of the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the plant fiend

Image of myself My name is Lindsi Unsell. I am a senior at The University of Oklahoma and I am studying Communications. All of my Communication classes have been so interesting and relevant to everyday life. I have actually noticed myself become a better communicator and have been more aware of how others communicate around me. As a senior, I am both excited and nervous to have such limited time in school left. I feel so happy that I have come this far successfully and I can see the light at the end of this stressful yet rewarding tunnel. I also work at The Oklahoma Daily as a copy editor and hope to try my hand at some writing for the newspaper this final semester. The Daily has been one of the most rewarding things I have done at OU. I have met a niche group of people that help me connect with others outside of school that I may not have gotten the chance to meet otherwise. I love being a part of the school newspaper because I feel so much more aware of events going on locall

Comment Wall

Beowulf slaying Grendel Here is a link to my storybook website about Beowulf and his many thrilling adventures.

Week 7 Story: Grotto of Lust

Author's note: This story was originally told as the Grotto of Love. In this story was a man that became bored and resorted to other pleasures. These pleasures were among the sea with a siren. I will keep with the same story but change the ending and the character names and a few traits. Grotto of Lust Leorio, as with many who are given too much in life, was dissatisfied. Leorio had the most beautiful and loyal wife, Setsu, but he tired of her constant presence. In his boredom he began to think of a siren he once saw, but could not catch. She had a voice that could make tears prick your eyes and a beauty that surpassed anyone Leorio had ever set his eyes upon. He sat and thought about the way she sang and played her lute effortlessly. It all became a dizzying daydream and he could not bare the thoughts any longer. He left his wife without a thought and made his way to the emerald sea where she lived.  Once his feet sunk into the sand and he breathed in the salty air he b