Skip to main content

Reading Notes Part A: Japanese Mythology

Story source: Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).
Izanami, goddess of mortals


Izanagi and Izanami

Izanami is mother of the sun goddess Amaterasu and also wife of Izanagi. None were like Amaterasu for she was most radiant and graceful. 

Izanami, goddess of mortals loved the Earth children very much. She loved them so much and wanted to give them everything that the other gods became jealous(what's new). They said she loved the Earth children more than the gods. 

This put Izanami in a depressed state and she withdrew to the mountains where she bore her son Susanoo, god of fire. This boy had an evil heart and she grew very afraid of this so she bore another son, god of water. Izanami then died from the pain of birth and her sorrows to Yomi, a place of departed souls. 

In Izanagi's sadness of his wife's death he finds a way to Yomi to get back his lost wife. However, it was too late she had already eaten the bread of Yomi and returned to the Underworld. 

The Miraculous Mirror

Susanoo scared his sister Amaterasu into hiding. The people were very sad and called for her to return. From their prayers a god fashioned a mirror of gold that gave a miraculous light. 

The poeple and the god Uzume, god of laughter hid with the mirror. He brought howls of laughter from the people in the moonlight. Amaterasu heard this commotion and asked what it was about. The god of laughter then told Amaterasu there was someone more fair than she. This got the goddess's attention. 

The sun goddess became very jealous when she looked into the mirror and saw such brightness and pure beauty. She then ran out of the cave out of pure anger. When she left the cave she shone her beautiful brightness to all the world. 

The Eight-Forked Serpent of Koshi

Susanoo went into the mountains and found two parents with one daughter. Susanoo then asked what they were doing there? If they were humans or gods, for no human would live up in the mountains. The two parents admitted they were deities. They said that they once had eight daughters but the eight-forked serpent had eaten all but one. 

They knew for sure she would also be eaten by the serpent and begged Susanoo to help them. He said he would kill the serpent if they would give the daughter to him to marry. They first asked who he was. When he said he was the brother of Amaterasu they were thrilled and accepted. 

Susanoo then made the daughter into a comb and put it in his hair while he made a plan to kill the serpent. 

Susanoo got gallons of sake and made a channel and filled it with the booze. The serpent finally made its way around and got very drunk. Once the snake was unconscious Susanoo chopped it into eight pieces. After the snake was dead he turned the daughter back into a human and they got married. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the plant fiend

Image of myself My name is Lindsi Unsell. I am a senior at The University of Oklahoma and I am studying Communications. All of my Communication classes have been so interesting and relevant to everyday life. I have actually noticed myself become a better communicator and have been more aware of how others communicate around me. As a senior, I am both excited and nervous to have such limited time in school left. I feel so happy that I have come this far successfully and I can see the light at the end of this stressful yet rewarding tunnel. I also work at The Oklahoma Daily as a copy editor and hope to try my hand at some writing for the newspaper this final semester. The Daily has been one of the most rewarding things I have done at OU. I have met a niche group of people that help me connect with others outside of school that I may not have gotten the chance to meet otherwise. I love being a part of the school newspaper because I feel so much more aware of events going on locall

Comment Wall

Beowulf slaying Grendel Here is a link to my storybook website about Beowulf and his many thrilling adventures.

Week Two Story: The Ivory Man

Author's note: When I read the original story for this one, metamorphosis I was drawn to how romantic it is. If you have every seen the 80's film Mannequin , this story reminded me of it. When re-creating this story I wanted to change the gender and different aspects of what a woman might want from a man instead of what a man would want from a woman. I kept to the story for the most part but changed a few things. "Metamorphosis: Pigmalion" from Tony Kline. Web source . Ivory Man In the lovely town of Cyprus there lived a woman named Padme. She was quite fed up with all of the men in her town. She thought they did not see her as an intelligent artist, but only as a woman that should not busy herself with such things. In a fit of annoyance she went to her shop and began working tirelessly on a most beautiful sculpture of a man... The perfect man. The sculpture was crafted from the finest ivory. Padme made sure to make his lips full, his cheekbones high and his